Friday, June 10, 2011

Shabbat Shalom! (Mama's Challah)

It has been years since I've observed the Sabbath. I remember as a child watching my parents say the blessings over my siblings and me. We thought drinking wine on Shabbat was very grown up when I was a kid, even though it was only non-alcoholic wine. Then we ended with the breaking of the bread, and boy do I love the sweet taste of my Mama's fluffy Challah!

My mother is here in Oklahoma for a visit!  She flew in this past Tuesday. It has been seven and a half years since I've seen my parents. I wish my father was able to accompany my mom on her visit, but work has him tied down.

I was pleased to give my children and husband a taste of our heritage. We pulled out our Sabbath candle sticks, prepared my mother's Challah bread recipe and had Sabbath.

You will love my Mama's Challah Bread recipe, she makes the dough using her bread machine. It is so moist, fluffy and sweet!

Love to all on this beautiful Sabbath evening, Shabbat Shalom!


Challah
(Pareve)

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 4 tablespoons oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 1/2 cups flour
  • 2/3 cups sugar
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

Preparation:
  1. Place all ingredients in order into the pan of the bread machine.  Make a well in the dry ingredients before putting in the yeast.
  2. Close the bread machine door, set it on the dough setting.
  3. When the dough is ready, divide in half.  Divide each half into 3 parts, roll each part into 12-inch ropes, and braid, making sure to tuck the ends of each braid under. 
  4. Place both braided loaves onto greased cookie sheets.  Cover loosely with towel and let rise for 2 - 3 hours.
  5. Preheat oven to 350°F. 
  6. Brush the tops of the Challah gently with an egg yolk.  If desired, sesame or poppy seeds can be sprinkled on to p of the egg wash.
  7. Bake at 350°F. for approximately 30-minutes.


Print

0 comments: