Monday, March 14, 2011

Dear Gale,          
♫♪ “Why’d you have to go and make things so complicated..” ♫♪ No really, with this recipe, had I whipped the heavy cream any longer, the muscle tone in my arm would have eventually resembled that of Dwayne Johnson! *Not Cool*



Oddities:
·        I found it odd that the “batter” had a thick dough-like texture.
·        Why did the batter need to sit for 30 minutes prior to baking?
·        Instead of baking in the iron for 24-seconds, like the other batters do,  it took about 1 ½ - 2 minutes. 
·        It broke apart too easily when being removed from the iron. There was no chance of forming it into cones.
·        I managed to successfully form one cone but the dough tore in several places as I gently rolled it with the cone shaper thingy.
·        Woe is me!

It broke apart as I was removing it from the hot iron.





1 1/2 min. wasn't long enough for the bottom pieces. The top piece just crumbled!




It began to peel back.




Close-up view of it peeling up. This comes from not enough moisture.




Slowly giving up with each scoop of batter that turns into rubbish.




The Cone Shaper Thingy only made things worse.




While attempting to roll the hot dough it cracked and crumbled.




...And another one bites the dust!




Icky - Dry - Yuck!




Wow... I was speechless and had to stop. I threw out the rest of the batter.



Verdict Says:

I think I will have to give this recipe another go. I noticed that the pieces of broken dough had firmed up nicely, and tasted good. I really liked how the recipe called for a flavorful twist with cinnamon and nutmeg.  I’m not going to write off this recipe too soon.  Anything could have been to blame for a faulty batter. The weather has been damp and chilly and my measurements could have been off a little… Who knows…  All I know is that I really liked the texture of the broken cone pieces after it cooled. It was thick and crispy. It yielded the perfect sweetness too! This recipe has the potential for making the perfect waffle bowl if I can figure out what went wrong!  I'll have to play with the measurements and maybe do some tweaking tomorrow. 

I don't have the heart to post the recipe just yet. Not until I've figured out what caused the dough to react like it did.  If you are curious and want to give it a go, then go here:  TheFoodNetwork ; and please send me your comments on how your cones turned out :)


Back to the drawring board!
-Bec

0 comments: